[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:06:00 PDT 2011

The court session last Friday was really interesting… the (quite conservative) judge got pretty irked pretty fast and, within an hour and a half called the lawyers into his chambers for a three hour engagement… We are now enjoined from a work stoppage but can picket and hold rallies, etc… until twenty days after the two sides finish their work with the State-appointed Fact Finder, who is - by some accounts - finding more facts on our side… however, the Fact Finder's findings are not binding and 60 days after the end of negotiations recent laws passed allow the admin to impose on us whatever they've been pushing for. At the same time, the judge effectively forced the admin to allow us to shift our co-pays from 5/10 to 10/20 thereby resolving the main "Oh my goodness, the health plan they want is so expensive it'll break the university to pay for it!" argument just as the Faculty Association had long said it would. Some other minor things were resolved in our general favor but many many sticking points remain.

The very best thing that came from all of this has been how many connections, affiliations and associations have been built. In addition to the FA's strength, great numbers of local businesses dependent on university salaries have rallied to our side and when we couldn't picket the faculty union at Ferris State coordinated with the grad student union at UofM and undergrads here and they picketed for us for a day. Had we been able to continue to picket deliveries to and construction on campus would pretty much have ground to a halt. Local newspapers have sought to write in "balanced" fashion but usually start with problems tied to the admin's stances, and the student paper - to pretty much everyone's surprise - appears to be able to see through the fog: "They like us, they really like us!"

What's clear most of all is that CMU is definitely a test case and winning here is what conservatives really want so that they can build momentum crushing faculty and teachers across the state.

I think it is very important to note that this is not a Research I university… where Wojtek and Joanna's descriptions clearly hold - there's not been a peep of support from MSU or faculty at UofM that I know of.

These battles are not and can not be initially won at Research I schools, they can and may be won "below" those lofty heights in places where students matter a great deal more than cost recovery from external grants and patent licensing and technology transfer.

As always,

Alan