[lbo-talk] Zizek and Gaddafi: Living in the old world

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Sep 1 17:03:10 PDT 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Zizek and Gaddafi are identical souls
>
> I love Hamid Dabashi, but this is nuts.

It's harsh. But Zizek's take on Egypt was embarassing and I can see why Dabashi's pissed. Zizek's certainty that Egypt's future is determined embarrassed me.

Also while we readers of Jacobin can see Zizek has being part of the project of finding a functional replacement for The Party that is missing its drawbacks, I think most everyone else in the world can be forgiven for reading him as simply wanting to bring back The Party. Zizek seems to go out of his way to invite that reading with his last line. And if one read him like that, the harshness would be justified -- he would be a dinosaur.

Michael