[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

Chris Brooke cb632 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 02:28:50 PDT 2011

On 02/09/2011 02:22, "Jim Farmelant" <farmelantj at juno.com> wrote:

> We know that from statements that Smith had made concerning his own
> university
> experiences, that he claimed that he got far more out of his
> undergraduate
> studies at Glasgow University than he did from his graduate studies
> at Oxford...

Yes, indeed. In a letter from Oxford, Smith wrote that, "It will be his own fault if anyone should endanger his health at Oxford by excessive study, our only business here being to go to prayers twice a day and to lecture twice a week". And when preparing one of the later editions of the Wealth of Nations for publication, Smith added this entry to the index: "Oxford, the professorships there, sinecures".

C.