[lbo-talk] seems 99% sure

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 2 05:31:07 PDT 2011

At 08:06 AM 9/2/2011, Alan Rudy wrote:
>But the glib dismissal ("Yeah, well,
>whatever, higher ed's always sucked

just look what Adam Smith said.") of
>the real consequences for real people of the neoliberal and neoconservative
>attack on education - primary, secondary or higher - is pretty irritating.

oh get some boudreaux's butt paste for your chapped ass for fuck's sake. geez.

i wasn't saying that. i was just noting that there was a time when people in academia felt the discpline of the market much more directly.

and yeah, you're right: i don't feel sorry for your or anyone in academia or elsewhere who *feels* they were once somehow sheltered from the market and are no longer. this shit has been going on since the early 90s, nearly 2 decades. what rock have you lived under?

you are workers, just fucking like everyone else in this world, and your plight is no different than the plight of anyone else who has to work to live. i don't give a shit about doctors who talk about the loss of autonmy after HMO, PPOs, etc either. It sucks to be them, it has certainly contributed to horrible things that happen to the healthcare system, but there's nothing about their professions or yours that means exposure to the market is aqny more tragic than the rest of the world.

that doesn't mean i don't support the labor struggles of the professoriate. it just means i support the labor struggles of *any* profession/group/union/whatever and it has nothing to do with the boohoo-lawd-amercy what is happening to the world because i feel sorry for people who are supposed to, what?, be sheltered from the market because of the, what?, nature of what they fucking do for a living and oh my gosh it's about the chillen and their edumacations. we cant' let this happen!

no fucking way to that latter view.

none of us should be subject to the discipline of a market which means we have to be worried about keeping our jobs every minute lest we can't keep a roof over our head. it doesn't matter whether you push a broom, push pixels, or push pomo litcrittery.

shag