[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Fri Sep 2 06:23:22 PDT 2011

At 8:28 AM -0400 2/9/11, Charles Turner wrote:

>Could someone point me to an answer to this?
>
>Reading Z's _End Times_, and in his chapter about political economy,
>he mentions the three classical divisions of income: labor,
>capital, land ownership.

Huh? Land is not capital? Is that a reference to feudal economic relations? Surely land is not fundamentally different to other capital, part of the means of production.

>So what is a royalty? Is it a rent? Is an intellectual property a
>kind of capital? What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

Aren't royalties - like insurance premiums - a form of taxation, in the sense that payment is usually mandated by government regulation? ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas