[lbo-talk] A second read of Jane Jacobs

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 18:57:53 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Claxton" <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>

You can't step into the same book twice. ___________________________________

Sure you can. Every time I think I'm going to die, I re-read Chekhov's short stories. Because he forgives all and because they get better with each reading. Works like a charm.

Doesn't work with all books though.

At the moment, I'm going to re-read a certain amount of Lukacs, though it turns out to be very hard to find his stuff these days. I'm going to re-read him, because I haven't actually found better criticism between what he wrote and the present.

--Theory of the Novel --Historical Novel --History and Class Consciousness

We'll see if I misremembered.

Joanna