[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 19:01:49 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "michael perelman" <michael.perelman3 at gmail.com>

Yes, I have such a job, which is why I have not asked for any royalties from my last 3 books. My comment was about science, however, and much scientific progress also comes via public support.

I would like a society in which all kinds of creators received public support rather than rely on markets. -----------------

That would be cool. Also cool would be a society in which the work that needed doing would take at most 20 hours a week; and the rest of the time, one would have the time and energy to create or to loaf.

Public support would be needed for some freelance activity: scientific research, artistic productions, public shows, etc.

All doable.

It's a political problem.

Joanna