[lbo-talk] A second read of Jane Jacobs

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Sep 2 19:54:36 PDT 2011

On Sep 2, 2011, at 10:23 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:
> At 06:57 PM 9/2/2011, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> You can't step into the same book twice.
>>
>> Sure you can. Every time I think I'm going to die, I re-read Chekhov's short stories. Because he forgives all and because they get better with each reading. Works like a charm.
>

> That's what I mean. If they get better, they're not the same book. You change and the book changes. And part of your change is a result of reading and then rereading the book. It's a marvelous thing.

I assumed as much… that yours was an allusion to the quote about stepping into the same river.

Thank you for the responses, all. When I wrote that her insights might have become commonplace, I did not mean to imply that they have been implemented - but rather that everyone seems to know and repeat her thoughts perhaps without knowledge of her: one of those “they say …” thoughts. In reality, as Carrol points out, she has lost the war against zoning.

I am going to plod on, reassured (and made less cynical) by your responses.

—ravi