[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectual property?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 14:15:05 PDT 2011

1. Doug's writing is superb and needs no editing.

2. Most publishing houses are thin on editing these days. It's costly.

3. The cost is in the marketing; I don't remember all that much of it for Doug's book.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bhaskar Sunkara" <bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com>

The deal sounds horrible and I've heard similar stories about Verso from a couple other authors.

But in response to Michael's point, one has to keep in mind that the publisher handled the editing and helped market and polish the thing. If Doug had gone any other route, would the book have reached such a wide audience?

Self-publishing is a bit of a mess. There's no quality control. It might work for Doug since he already has an audience and some cache, but would a young-ish writer like Richard Seymour have been better off self-publishing his first book instead of going to Verso?