[lbo-talk] Wall Street book

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 22:16:38 PDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> It would take a couple of years to update it. I wouldn't do it on spec.
>> I'd want decent coin - like $20,000 - to do it.
>
> So what about the Kickstarter idea?  I mean just theoretically.
>
> Michael

Kickstarter takes a fair amount of effort to actually raise money. If someone wants to take the trouble of running a real kickstarter campaign for Doug, and understands what it entails to do it right, they should talk to Doug about it.

In the short run, instead of LBO on DVD, Doug should look into publishing a collection of previously published articles (maybe including some nation articles as well if he owns the rights). Compared to updating Wall Street a better reward-to-risk ratio. Picking the best out of Doug's output is not a trivial task, but not on a scale with updating Wall Street.

Once I finish the work associated with my own book, I'd be willing to take in on myself for a percentage. But that is NOT an altruistic offer. I think Doug is ignoring a potential money maker in his own previously published short work. He (or someone) would not have to update it, just pick out the stuff that is still applicable, which is unfortunately for humanity, but fortunately for Doug is a lot of it.

-- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com