[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectualproperty?

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Wed Sep 7 15:19:15 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> Actually, I doubt that Doug receives much benefit from IP protection, as the
> "harm" caused by piracy would tend to be small.

Without it, his books would be on books.google.com (and millions other places) in a heartbeat. books.google.com would be another great property to show ads, making Google even more powerful in the advertising industry. Eventually, probably all the world's books would be scanned into digital form, if they aren't already.

BTW, a problem is that people who don't pirate (and don't have easy access to a top library) are disadvantaged.

One result of removing copyright protections would be the creation of powerful, highly-literate online communities. (Right now, private ones exist.)

(Putting aside the fact you'd want something better to take copyright's place, which still compensates producers.)

All the best,

Tj