[lbo-talk] America's fiscal union

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 04:52:53 PDT 2011

SA: "The answer is pretty obvious, no? Imagined communities, etc?"

[WS:] Yup. What surprises me is how little can economic theories (rational self interests yada yada yada) can explain of human behavior and how persistently folks stick to it despite this abysmal failure. I can understand neoliberals - they have vested interest in maintaining this science fiction - but liberals? Why on earth do they expect the grunts to "rationally act in their interests" and rebel against the elites. This is not how most people think.

I am quite impressed by the insights into this issue offered by George Lakoff (_Moral Politics_ , _The Political Mind_). In essence he argues that there are multiple rationalities that people employ to explain different situations (even the same person can have different rationalities for different situations) and these rationalities are framed by apriori beliefs that are not rational but rather based on values, beliefs etc. that come from metaphorical thinking. He argues that most people conceive politics in metaphorical terms as an analogy to the family, and different people use different family models to conceptualize politics.

Clearly, notions such as 'fiscal responsibility', 'frugality' "ability to pay for oneself" "irresponsible spending" are metaphors lifted from family finances and make little sense in macroeconomics (government deficit spending is NOT the same as mom and pop maxing out their credits cards!) Yet this metaphorical framing affects how most people think of political and economic issues and this kind of thinking is spoon fed to the public discourse by neoliberal and conservative shysters. That explains why, say, "hard working" Germans are though of as "frugal" and "responsible" while "laid-back" Greeks are seen as "wasteful" and "financially irresponsible." It is really only a notch above the most hackneyed ethnic stereotypes.

To understand how people actually think and make economic and political decisions you need to to turn to cognitive science, put the "rational self-interest model" into the rubbish bin where it belongs and disregard anything that economic has to say outside compiling national accounts and kindred macroeconomic statistics.

Wojtek