[lbo-talk] America's fiscal union

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 08:27:51 PDT 2011

On 2011-09-08, at 10:14 AM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>> If you're looking for contradictions, why does the Chamber of Commerce not support a big stimulus package, since that would increase profits?
>>
>> Don't want to create big bureaucracies, gov telling biz what to do, and a sense of entitlement among the working class.
>
> On top of all their favorite nobel economists telling them it's the wrong thing to do.

Again, if you examine their public statements and policy documents, some of which I reproduced, you'll find that both the Chamber of Commerce as well as the National Association of Manufacturers supported the stimulus program and are still calling for government spending on infrastructure as well as tax breaks and trade initiatives by the Obama administration. Their policies and interests are in harmony on this particular issue, notwithstanding their hostility to other forms of state intervention which hurts their bottom line. You know this to be characteristic of capitalism. Why in this case search for contradictions that aren't there?