[lbo-talk] Dumb QOTD: What kind of labor produces intellectualproperty?

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Fri Sep 9 02:09:45 PDT 2011

Well, maybe there is something naturally self-referential about this conversation about helpful online forums and the occasional unhappy jerk who posts on them... Google's top hit for "anarchist forum," which has unusually high signal vs. noise on real-world organizing and anarchist communism, does have such rules on these things:

"One liners - a common problem with forums is political discussion

being replaced by one-liners that may be in-jokes between friends

or dismissive put-downs. We don't want either on this forum

"On political topics a one-line sentence that expresses agreement

or disagreement adds nothing to the understanding of the issues

under discussion. As such they are not allowed, develop your

agreement or disagreement into an argument for your position.

"The only one-line posts that are allowed are questions that are a

genuine attempt to learn about the topic under discussion

(i.e. "so what?" is not allowed). Similarly, one-line replies

that give genuine answers to these questions are also permitted,

so long as it is in the spirit of fair discussion. That said,

remember that all users benefit from clear and well-thought-out

posts in board discussion. Adding a second sentence to your post

further clarifying your position does nothing to harm discussion,

but can help us all understand better"

http://www.anarchistblackcat.org/index.php/topic,8165.0.html

So there's still a lot of innovation in online communities to increase signal vs. noise. Maybe some of us have a hard time imagining how useful online forums can become, because we think in terms of the few we personally know.

As it stands, lbo-talk has clear advantages over illegal filesharing communities. Certain privileged professionals, who can eke out a living on these intellectual topics, can openly post here. (For example, I really like Michael Perelman's posts, and I just don't see him posting his notices on an illegal filesharing forum.) Also, a private forum necessarily can't attract the sheer numbers where many network effects and critical masses come into play.

All the best,

Tj