[lbo-talk] jobs bill: the legislative process

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 13 11:11:52 PDT 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 2:00 PM, John Gulick wrote:

> Back to the original topic: I was mildly shocked to see Obama's jobs bill propose an end to carriedinterest. He probably figures it won't survive sausage making. But still... it will rankle his hedgie patrons.What am I missing?

Here's what I don't get. Obama's bill says those tax changes would take effect should the deficit supercommission fail to come up with an additional $450 billion in "savings" beyond the $1.5 trillion it's already charged with finding. Does that mean he wants to look like a class warrior knowing that the deficit commish will be happy to take another few hundred billion out of Medicare?

Doug