[lbo-talk] Green jobs numbers

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Sep 13 18:26:18 PDT 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/the-green-jobs-numbers
>>
>> Nutshell: They're cheaper to create on average than other jobs, plus
>> the long lasting benefits.
>
> But there's the pansy problem. Real men punch holes in the earth and
> leave behind a lot of grime.

I wonder if that's true anymore. People used to say confidentialy in Britain that the metal bashing jobs would never go because of the manliness factor. But that sure wasn't true. And with manufacturing gone and working class now so invisible in the media, I wonder if there is any sex appeal to manual labor nowadays. If anything, sexiness nowadays seems more to adhere to new technology. And green jobs have that in spades.

Michael