[lbo-talk] Occupy Wall Street on 9/17/2011

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 15 11:32:20 PDT 2011

This goes back to an old argument between Charles and me over whether or not the Theses on Feuerbach expressed a pragmatist epistemology -- for that is the epistemology Charles is appealing to here. "Practice makes perfect" may or may not be true in itself, but it can't ground an epistemology. The relevant epistemological perspective is to be found, for example, in Hannah Arendt's The Human Condition. Her perspective on actin is anti-pragmatist but does ground thought in action. She also makes very clear that grounding thought in action far from being a rejection oftheory is the very basis for understanding how crucial theory is to action. I won't try to develop this here, but the main weakness of the FHP paper on activism is that they themselves are anti-theory: that is, they are unable to grasp the nature (and necessity) of theory in political practice.

My first response to their paper was highly favorable since as a (loose) generalization their thesis is of the utmost importance. One of my endlessly frustrating experiences for 45 years has been precisely that of attempting (with only occasional success) to impress fellow activists with the importance of theory. But FHP fail to see the importance of meta-theory, of theorizing theory, and thus fall into the error of worshiping their own spontaneity. (Ollman's chapter on ethical values in _Alienation_ is of some importance here. Also Ian's posts on error theory.) I'll try to revise and expand this in later posts.

Carrol