[lbo-talk] Is Obama Depressed?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 15 12:53:20 PDT 2011

On 9/15/2011 2:40 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2011, at 2:40 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>> Hey, he admires Reagan; let's call him "The Great Capitulator".
>
> If he admires RR, he's not capitulating - he's following. emulating, promoting.

That seems highly probable to me -- and it does accurately describe the _results_ he's achieving. But we are just guessing as to his 'internal' state (motives, etc).

A bit of wishful thinking: A Republican elected in2012 will so royally fuck up, and the next Dem the same, that out of pure frustration a few million will start taking to the streets. And if that happens, a few 10 thousands will begin to think more deeply about the nature of the frustration, the results of the actions, and the possibilities thereby opened, and there will be sufficient differences of opinions among the 10s of thousands that a democratic (not Democratic) dialectic will emerge among them. And then all sorts of possibilties might open up.

Merely a bit of wishful thinking, but who knows.

Carrol

Carrol