[lbo-talk] Crap architecture

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Sat Sep 17 05:57:14 PDT 2011

On Sep 16, 2011, at 9:38 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Intrusion of "this is good" ends the conversation.
>
> It is simply impossible to fin any foundation upon which to ground either aesthetic or moral judgments.

The elevation of aesthetics above the ethical plane hasn't been true for all humankind and time, and although aesthetic autonomy reached it's peak in the late-1800s, I think it's come down from its high a bit.

That said, the discussion was about architecture, which is a utilitarian art-form that even in this day and age is quite amenable to value judgements.

The cited building types are "office space on a corporate campus" and "hotel (in an entertainment quarter)." You can certainly make judgements about how well their design addresses their intended use.

Saying you can't value them aesthetically, or slinging "crap" or "butt ugly" around, is just failing to have a discussion.

Charles