[lbo-talk] Blog Post: Hoffa and Trumka Babble While the House of Labor Burns

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 08:22:25 PDT 2011

Michael: "Much was made of Trumka’s pronouncements by the media, some suggesting that a labor-Democratic Party divorce and the formation of a labor party were imminent.Anyone familiar with the U.S. labor movement would be skeptical of these actions and pronouncements, understanding (to paraphrase Shakespeare) that they were full of sound and fury but signified nothing. And sure enough, within a few days of Hoffa’s lawsuit and Trumka’s tough talk, cooler heads prevailed." . . .

[WS:] I do not think it is the problem of the US labor movement but rather that of the US electoral system. Any third party, labor or otherwise, has zero chance of any meaningful electoral success, so supporting such parties would be a total waste of union money. By supporting Democrats, they can at least get something in return, not very much, but some crumbs, which is better than nothing.

Unlike business, unions have really nowhere to go to but Democrats, unless the US electoral system is overhauled to allow proportional representation. Trumka talking about a labor party is largely an empty threat - but it makes some sense as a "madman factor" in game theory. The idea is to convince your much stronger opponent that you are not rational and are prepared to fight him against all odds. If your opponent is risk aversive, as Democrats tend to be, the chance are he will back off a bit to avoid the risk of provoking a madman. So from that pov, Trumka is not babbling, he is making a strategic move. I am not sure how convincing, though.

Wojtek