[lbo-talk] Mark Engler: The Legacy of "Anti-Globalization"

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:35:04 PDT 2011

http://dissentmagazine.org/atw.php?id=555

I don't actually disagree with much of what he says. The movement didn't appear out of nowhere, nor did it immediate disappear without leaving a legacy. I guess my main point of emphasis would be on anti-globalization's lack of a coherent structural critique of global capitalism and the reputation of old forms of left-wing organization. "Educate, Agitate, Organize" got morphed into "Agitate, Agitate, Agitate" at some point along the line. The fetishizing of the Zapatista struggle links in with this.