[lbo-talk] Top all time donors 1989-2012

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 20 20:36:51 PDT 2011

On Sep 20, 2011, at 3:49 PM, Dennis Redmond wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:20 AM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?source=patrick.net&order=A
>
> These are only the FEC-tracked contributions, a tiny percentage of the
> total. The AFL-CIO spent $45 million over 23 years, which works out to
> a couple million per year -- barely enough to cover postage for a
> single mass mailing to its members, let alone serious organizing.

Counting down through that list I see that the Official Labor Movement spent more than $625 million. And received much less than nothing for it. Imagine what American politics would look like today if that money had been invested in organizing Labor's own political party!

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"