[lbo-talk] Donate to Wall Street protesters

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:51:18 PDT 2011

I could write pages and pages about it. In fact, I was close to the center of one kidnapping/murder investigation that could easily merit its own novel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittorio_Arrigoni). But in short, Hamas is a political party like any other, and considerably better than some. Their main innovations since establishing control of the Gaza Strip have been imposing public order (which their most vocal opponents here appreciate), nearly eliminating political corruption, and of course breaking ties with the occupying power. I'm told there hasn't been a particular turn towards social conservatism since 2007, as happened during the Intifadas. The police are no less pleasant than in Philadelphia, and considerably more so than in Miami. (Everyone, government and opposition alike, is staggeringly pleasant to foreigners, of course, but we occupy a strange niche here.)

I should add that the role of the government here is often exaggerated, even by foreigners who know the society fairly well. The families run Gaza. And they do a good job of keeping it together, when corruption and violence aren't mucking up the system. The family honor system also has a lot more to do with the imposition and maintenance of cultural norms than any action taken by the government.

Let me know if you have more specific questions (which I'll probably get to tomorrow). With all the experiences I've had here, such a broad query is a little difficult to tackle.