[lbo-talk] Donate to Wall Street protesters

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:27:05 PDT 2011

What I meant is that Thoreau was a part of the New England establishment, not some property-less grunt who had to go West to make the ends meet. His individualist anarchism (_Civil Disobedience_) is thoroughly (no pun intended :)) petite bourgeois - as Charles aptly observed - even though some of his motives (e.g. anti-slavery) are commendable. This is support of my objection to attribute American infatuation libertarianism to "settler mentality." I suspect that settlers had to have a great deal of social solidarity, for otherwise they would have not survived. Libertarianism had more appeal to patricians, intellectuals and petite bourgeoisie, who could write about it.

Wojtek