[lbo-talk] Donate to Wall Street protesters

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:36:44 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
>> Chomsky means that corporations are undemocratic "private tyrannies" that
>> must be restrained by the residual democratic elements of the state.
>
> Hilarious.

The older I get, the more I'm beginning to realize just how toxic the US Empire has been to all categories of US political thinking. The basic formula is a kind of oligopolistic libertarianism, if that makes any sense -- "I've got mine, and my lawyers will take yours, too". You can see its traces in most of our best thinkers, from Chomsky's rationality-of-the-private-citizen, to Jameson's original, US-centric concept of postmodernism.

-- DRR