[lbo-talk] Donate to Wall Street protesters

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 06:14:55 PDT 2011

CB: Yes, some of them were a while ago, but I'm suggesting that unique American national character is still shaped by American history. Also, the whole pioneer and Western cowboy culture stretches to the 20th Century. Cowboy movies and television shows were popular in the..."

[WS:] I have a strong suspicion that our images of the "settler culture" is product of the 20th century propaganda and Hollywood-made mythology and have little resemblance of reality. I recall reading an article a while ago arguing that guns were not very popular among earlier settlers because they were expensive and unreliable, but the image of a gun toting settler was manufactured by gun industry and lobby after the Civil War. Needless to say that the NRA shitheads took exception to it.

I think it is quite probable that settlers had highly developed sense of social solidarity, because without they would not be able to survive in a harsh and often hostile environment. However, settlers seldom wrote about their own experiences - it is jurnos and intellectuals of various stripes who did and these tend to pander to popular myths bending the truth in the process. Take the Donner Party for example. This is the story of enormous solidarity among people who found themselves in extreme conditions, but the press at the time trumped up the cannibalism trope because it was sensational. I recall reading an article (National Geographic?) saying that there is not much evidence of cannibalism in the Donner party - meaning that that there was some but not as wide spread as the press of the time portrayed it.

Or take the smallholders of the time. These were extended family households not a mom, pop and 2 and 1/2 kids as modern mythology has it. Similar social arrangement elsewhere were associated with strong social solidarity bonds (cf. Thomas and Znaniecki study of peasant immigrants in the US.) So it is very likely that social solidarity bonds were strong among smallholders as well.

And then there is Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc. that are also settler communities, but do not have such a strong individualistic and libertarian ethos as the US population does. Clearly, it must have been something else than "settler culture" that produced them. That something is, I argue pro-business propaganda and mythology permeating nearly every aspect of the US culture.

As to your view of European history and claiming its similarity to American history - I think you are quite wrong about it, as many Marxists are. There were different configurations of class powers between lords and peasants, and different role that state played in those class relations, which led to different outcomes, e.g. England vs. France, Western Europe vs. Eastern Europe, etc. This has been hammered to death by Brenner, Moore, Skocpol, Rueschemeyer and others. A good place to start would be Brenner's long piece "Agrarian class structure and economic development in pre industrial Europe" (Past 7 Present, 1982, 97:16-113.) where he contrast the development paths of England and continental Europe, and the edited volume "bringing the State In" (by Evans, Rueschemeyer and Skocpol.) Both publications offer strong historical evidence that the state in Europe was not a mere tool of landlords or bourgeoisie, but rather an independent actor balancing the power of different social classes.

In any case, I would like to reiterate the fact that the US state has very different origins than European states - the former is a creation of the US bourgeoisie whose power and influence predates the state, whereas European states predate modern social classes and historically has had a much greater autonomy vis a vis social classes than the US state. This, I believe, set two different paths of institutional development that account for different political outcomes (strong vs. weak welfare state, for example) as well different cultures: the strong presence of pro-business libertarianism in the US vs. collective security preferences in Europe.

Wojtek