[lbo-talk] the "principles of solidarity"

dndlllio at aol.com dndlllio at aol.com
Sun Sep 25 15:12:26 PDT 2011

On 9/25/11 3:20 PM, SA wrote:
> I don't get it. Why the Unitarian-therapeutic tone, the prefatory
> hand-wringing and throat-clearing, the randomly appended issues? (Open
> source?!)
Workers who produce code may not be confused by the inclusion of open source, but then again, they may have objections too:

" Open source is a development methodology; free software is a social movement. For the free software movement, free software is an ethical imperative, because only free software respects the users' freedom. By contrast, the philosophy of open source considers issues in terms of how to make software "better"---in a practical sense only. It says that nonfree software is an inferior solution to the practical problem at hand. For the free software movement, however, nonfree software is a social problem, and the solution is to stop using it and move to free software."

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html