[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk's Message to the Masses

dndlllio at aol.com dndlllio at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 16:49:04 PDT 2011

Occupy Wall Street as it was originally framed by Adbusters, did not embrace a strategy of having no demands. Instead it made the following assertion:

" Tahrir succeeded in large part because the people of Egypt made a straightforward ultimatum – that Mubarak must go – over and over again until they won. Following this model, what is our equally uncomplicated demand?"

That assertion may or may not be factually correct, but it does suggest the influence of military theorist John Robb's concept of "open source insurgency" and its emphasis on a plausible promise.

After Adbusters issued the original call, there was a planning session with 200 participants. That's when USDOR and the General Assembly also became involved, and probably when the California-style "no demand" tactic made its entrance.

When the editors of Occupywallst.org published a entire list of demands last week, there was a kerfluffle in the comments section in which some commenters suggested that the protest should remain focused, while the editors asserted that "one demand" was just a rhetorical device.

Also see David Graebers piece in the Guardian:

" The form of resistance that has emerged looks remarkably similar to the old global justice movement, too: we see the rejection of old-fashioned party politics, the same embrace of radical diversity, the same emphasis on inventing new forms of democracy from below. What's different is largely the target: where in 2000, it was directed at the power of unprecedented new planetary bureaucracies (the WTO, IMF, World Bank, Nafta), institutions with no democratic accountability, which existed only to serve the interests of transnational capital; now, it is at the entire political classes of countries like Greece, Spain and, now, the US – for exactly the same reason. This is why protesters are often hesitant even to issue formal demands, since that might imply recognising the legitimacy of the politicians against whom they are ranged."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/sep/25/occupy-wall-street-protest