[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk's Message to the Masses

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Sep 26 18:24:48 PDT 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:02:38 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> > Well, the obvious analogy would be 'Obama must go', wouldn't it?
>
> To be replaced by the Joint Chiefs of Staff?

Just tryin' to answer the question, Comrade.

Still, it's fun to imagine an American Tahrir focussed on getting Obama out. Suppose it succeeded, and Obie had to flee the country in one of the smaller Air Force Ones and go mooch off, who, Tony Blair?

Regardless who 'succeeded' him, that would be a pretty significant exercise of 'demokratia' in the etymological sense.

There's no obvious Lenin waiting in the wings, to be sure. But whoever did succeed him would have a new-found respect for the mob, don't you think?

As a first approximation, 'decapitate the guy in charge' seems like a rather sound heuristic principle to me.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com