[lbo-talk] The "Anarcho-Liberal"

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 12:31:28 PDT 2011

I tried to coin a term.

http://www.dissentmagazine.org/atw.php?id=560

Mark Engler’s commentary <http://dissentmagazine.org/atw.php?id=555> on my symposium entry and the “legacy of anti-globalization” more generally is appreciated. I don’t disagree with him on the specifics. “Anti-globalization” had its genesis before Seattle, rattled on after 9/11, and left behind a tangible legacy. But was this legacy an unambiguously positive one? The diversity of the global justice movement is undeniable, but to the extent its prominent intellectual voices represented broader trends, we can see the crystallization of a new type of radical that would come to prominence on the Left. The reconfiguration of the Left at the end of the twentieth century created a void. The “anarcho-liberal” filled it.