[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 28 07:44:11 PDT 2011

On Sep 28, 2011, at 10:09 AM, // ravi wrote:

> For we know as a fact that racism is a term and concept that people find politically useful. Using the concept, they describe the problem with clarity, they organise under a banner, they define means to identify/measure the problem, and at times even solve it. Reed is in fact aware of this, for he acknowledges (IIRC) that “antiracism” was one of the pillars of the civil rights movement

Exactly not. The civil rights movement was about repealing Jim Crow laws and achieving voting and other civil rights for black Americans. It had very specific targets. The whole "antiracism" thing came later, after those things were achieved.

Adolph has written this many times, I've quoted it many times, I've had him say it in interviews many times - yet people just can't hear it. What's the problem?

Doug