[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Sep 28 08:10:06 PDT 2011

On 9/28/2011 7:14 AM, // ravi wrote:
> On Sep 28, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> It's the "prejudice" problem. Having identified it, what do you do about it?
>
> It is only because we have identified it that we can do something about it, no? What do we do? Any of a number of things, I would guess: ongoing measurement of statistical disparity, training of police and other arms of the law, changes to law and jurisprudence that attempt to correct the results, make people aware of hidden bias, perhaps even statistical weighting of sentences, so on.

If the problem is defined as "prejudice", people are inexorably drawn toward strategies and interventions designed to transform the Prejudiced Mind rather than the social structures that reproduce patterns of racial inequality. Look at it this way: if we eliminated all of the prejudiced thinking in our society, 40% of African American children would still be in poverty, because that's a product of social structure.

Miles