[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk's Message to the Masses

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 11:42:48 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM, c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ^^^^ CB: Yes, and,, ahhhaa.. "French theory" replaces Marxism's use of
> science as its meta-theory of politics with literary criticism as a
> meta-theory of politics. Thus, everything is a text, Marxism is a
> grand narrative, and all that jazz. LBO-talk has a lot of lit
> critters, too

I'm not sure which "French theory" you are talking about. The "French theory" I know best is Deleuze and Guattari, and what you say does not in any way apply to them: They put science (geology, anthropology, biology, mathematics) to political uses; they admired and utilized Marx (Deleuze's last book was supposed to have been called The Grandeur of Marx); they had a political economy that even their enemies admitted was bold, original, and highly descriptive; they despised the linguistic turn; their grand narrative (what they called universal history) makes Marx's theorizations seem topical; etc.