[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 28 12:13:58 PDT 2011

On Sep 28, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> I've read this three times before reading it again just now, and each
> time I've been frustrated at how he manages to start to approach
> what's at stake in these arguments but manages to miss it. Namely, he
> moves from the racial to the economic, but never combines them

Because, and after this I give up, it gets you nowhere. Criminalize less behavior and jail fewer people. Institute single-payer and make unemployment benefits more generous. Punish and fire brutal cops. Etc. These measures would benefit most people, blacks proportionately more than whites, but don't require specifically racial analyses or remedies. Fighting for them would unite all kinds of people too.

Doug