[lbo-talk] Does BSD make sense

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 16:30:41 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com> wrote:

This whole conversation is a good argument for your point on racism
> The argument ends up being about who is racist rather than about
> whether Chomsky is right or wrong about BDS. I will add that there
> are good arguments for Boycott Divest and Sanction.

With a tip of the hat to a valued comrade, I suggest Gar's putting more thought into this than it deserves. Of course BDS is a only strategy, and there are arguments for - and against - certain applications of it in specific contexts. (Here's one in the context of Gaza: If you don't buy Israeli goods here, you'll pay a lot more for many products, and won't be able to get some necessities at all.)

A far more significant consideration is Chomsky's sneering, wholesale dismissal of Palestinian aspirations, leadership, AND strategy en toto. Frankly, I'm not sure what aspect of the Palestinian cause that leaves him liking, other than the opportunities it affords him to publish books and make speeches on its ostensible behalf. Big-hearted American Zionists who are eager to denounce everything Palestinians are actually doing to further their own struggle are the kinds of "supporters" Palestinians will be better off without.