[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 28 17:42:36 PDT 2011

On Sep 28, 2011, at 8:09 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> Actually understanding the social dynamics shaping these things, rather than
> falsely treating them as isolated hit-and-runs?
>
> One cannot adequately grasp relations between Israel and the United States,
> Canada, or Australia, for example, without considering the pressure of a
> certain kind of settler-colonial racial solidarity.

Israel wanted land. Palestinians were on it. They had to be cleared out. Racialization followed, very much as it did with slavery. But it's still about claims to land.

Israel served useful strategic purposes for the U.S. during the Cold War. I'm not sure it still does, but old habits die hard. Maybe some settler affinity adds to the relationship, but it's deeply material-political at its base.

I don't get how Canada and Australia figure in this.

Doug