[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 28 17:48:10 PDT 2011

On Sep 28, 2011, at 6:51 PM, wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> There has been a history of such
> programs being implemented in a manner that reproduces and reinforces
> racism. I'm notably thinking about the policies of the New Deal in
> this regard.

Yeah, FDR was pandering to the white supremacist wing of the Dem party.There were specific exceptions for things like domestic and agricultural labor for racially exclusionary reasons. That was also almost 80 years ago. The Dixiecrats have become Republicans and there's no more Jim Crow.

Further proof that Willie Legette's aphorism is on target - everything's changed but the way we think about it.

Doug