[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 17:57:22 PDT 2011

That argument makes no sense to me. First, I don't know what it means to talk about Israel's political culture as something apart from U.S. support. Without U.S. support that political culture would have to be very different. And what's superior about it? Proportional representation? These seem more like symbolic counters compared to the continuing and growing process of destruction of the Palestinians.

Really, I'm completely lost here.

Joanna

This discussion brings me back to an exchange I had with Noam several years ago. His point was that by boycotting Israel, Americans would be boycotting a political culture far more sophisticated than our own. And since Israel would have a very hard time doing what it does without U.S. money and weapons, what exactly is the point of Americans pushing a boycott of Israel and not of ourselves? And how do we boycott ourselves?