[lbo-talk] Occupy Wall Street

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 29 05:27:16 PDT 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 8:11 AM, Julio Huato quoted GG:

> Some of these critiques are ludicrous. Does anyone really not know
> what the basic message is of this protest: that Wall Street is oozing
> corruption and criminality and its unrestrained political power -- in
> the form of crony capitalism and ownership of political institutions
> -- is destroying financial security for everyone else? Beyond that,
> criticizing protesters for the prominence of police brutality stories
> is pure victim-blaming (and, independently, having police brutality
> highlighted is its own benefit).

Yes, that's all true, but why do the kids have trouble saying it? You could say in a single sentence, "These parasites have too much money, they fucked the economy, we need jobs and schools, let's take their money to pay for them." But they won't. I think it goes back to Jodi Dean's points about the inability to have an agenda and presume to speak for people. Thus all the emphasis on process, leaderlessness, consensus, and twinkling.

More later...