[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 29 10:26:06 PDT 2011

On Sep 29, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Julio Huato wrote:

> How about Latinos? Are they supposed to abandon their struggle
> against their specific forms of oppression, because the various forms
> in which their oppression manifests itself shifts historically --
> yesterday it was their territorial dispossession, now it is their
> legal status, tomorrow their focus may be on something else?

I don't see how anything I've said - or Adolph, whom I mostly channelling - would suggest abandoning anything. How are these examples even relevant? You fight the colonizer (who isn't colonizing you because of your "race" - that's a story he typically makes up after the fact - but because he wants your land, labor, and resources). You fight the immigration cops because no human should be illegal. What does adding race to this accomplish? What does race even mean in this context? (Hispanics, as the U.S. government statisticians always say, may be of any race.) How is an Argentine of Italian extraction the same "race" as a Mexican? A Mexican with a lot of Indian blood the same "race" as Carlos Salinas?

Doug