[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky is losing it

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:46:18 PDT 2011

Alan: "Woj, please, pay attention, the only way is by means of mass mobilization.

This has been said about a million times here. An equal million of times have been used to show that nothing else that's been or is being tried will work. This is old news."

[WS:] It is quite obvious, indeed. However, I have been to enough demos that mobilized thousands of people and fizzled out rather quickly to know that this form of mobilization simply does not work. And I read enough about social movement mobilization to know that they do not appear spontaneously but rather have organizational structures and strategic planning behind. What I would like to know is how exactly this mass mobilization is going to be organized, who is going to do it, and more importantly, how it is going to be transformed into a sustained political actions. So saying that we need mass mobilization is like saying that to fly to the moon we need to build a spaceship. Everybody knows that - the real question is how exactly.

While we are at that, several days ago I offered a suggestion of one possible strategy that involved labor unions creating a political party with sufficiently broad political appeal (i.e. free of labor or radical left boiler plates) that could be used a a strategic threat to split votes in elections if Dems do not meet labor demands. Such a party would have a permanent existence rather than being created for a single presidential election, thus posing a credible threat to Dem candidates in many states. In my view, this is a specific political strategy rather than a broad suggestion of mobilization of an unsustainable protest action. What is your view on this?

Wojtek