[lbo-talk] Noam Chomsky's losing it

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 03:10:44 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Chuck Grimes <c123grimes at att.net> wrote:

He believes in a Jewish state with his version of being Jewish. But there is
> the contradiction. His version no longer stands a chance, i.e Jewish by
> heritage, liberal to radical economics and social policy, tolerant, strong
> support for civil rights, freedom of speech, and worship, including the
> freedom not to worship or observe any religious practices, etc.

You're omitting the linchpin: He advocates these things on somebody else's ethnically-cleansed land. If he were talking about his own country, or a peaceful political process to establish a new one, he could support a Jacobite restoration for all I care.

> That vision of the future is probably disappeared.

It hasn't existed since plans for the Nakba kicked into high gear in the 30s (http://bit.ly/qgAMMY). You can't have liberal democracy in a military garrison, which is all a regime surrounded by angry refugees waiting for it to let down its guard can ever be.

Maybe he'd be better off considering new possibilities somewhere else? This isn't the worst idea I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVGeR4r5hbk