[lbo-talk] On Chomsky's remark about Israeli society

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Fri Sep 30 17:56:14 PDT 2011

> Would you explain or describe the debate over tactics. I have no idea what
> that division is about.
>
> CG

I'll give it a shot, although Joe might be in a better position to do that. I think you see it in the suspicion that Finkelstein and Chomsky have towards the concept of BDS, which is the central tactical approach of young activists. Also, younger activists tend to be much more suspicious of the two state solution, which was at the center of a lot of earlier solidarity work. A lot of this comes out of a set of analogies made with the South Africa situation, and the solidarity work done there. (that particular conversation is a pretty long one.)

You can see similar things occurring in the occupied territories. Young activists are often quite suspicious of both Hamas and Fateh, and are more interested in the type of grassroots organizing seen in Egypt. I don't know much more beyond this.

robert wood