[lbo-talk] On Chomsky's remark about Israeli society

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 22:18:50 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> As someone pointed out recently - where did I see this? ah the combination of the Internet and my aging memory - with apartheid, SA wanted black labor. Israel doesn't want Pal labor - just land. That's a difference.

That's a relatively recent development though. From the early 70s until Oslo, between a third and a half (100,000-150,000 workers) of the OT Palestinian workforce was employed in Israel. That dropped in the 90s a bit but got back up to those absolute numbers in 2000. Of course since then the numbers have gone way down, when they've existed at all.