[lbo-talk] Reflections of a GOP Operative Who Left the Cult

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Apr 6 06:18:42 PDT 2012

Reminds me of the book review someone pointed me to recently and about which I posted because it was another book playing on the whole "mind" bizzo. In this case, it was called The Righteous Mind. The author, a member of the Righteous Minded himself, points to research that shows that a conservative is capable of accurately representing how a liberal thinks about an issue whereas a liberal is completely befuddled by conservative thinking.

This flies in the face of the typical assumption of the Righteously Minded, no? That the Liberal is special because he is observant, caring, attuned to the Other, thoughtful, rational, brimming with the spirit of equanimity.

But apparently not quite - not when it comes to understanding the world of conservatives.

I'm also reminded of Robin's chapter on conservatives who turn against conservativism. They're not exactly _for_ anything in its stead. Though Robin says he actually thinks differently about this breed of conservative than he used to, so I'm not sure if that would be his current thesis. He never makes that clear either. At 08:38 AM 4/6/2012, Carrol Cox wrote: