[lbo-talk] Fidel's phone call to Hugo Chávez on 4/12/2002, etc.

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 06:51:24 PDT 2012

Somebody here wondered whether my claim, that Fidel saved Chávez's life during the coup, could be substantiated. I was relying on what Fidel disclosed in one of his old "reflections." But now the then Cuban ambassador in Caracas, Germán Sánchez Otero, is publishing a book in which he details these conversations and all the maneuvering involved:

http://www.cubadebate.cu/especiales/2012/04/11/la-llamada-de-fidel-a-chavez-el-12-de-abril-de-2002/

And this is from Randy Alonso Falcón, a Cuban journalist, caught in the middle of those events, helping Chávez's daughter to counter the propaganda coup, while Fidel threw his weight in all directions trying to help organize the counter-coup in Venezuela:

http://www.cubadebate.cu/opinion/2012/04/11/una-llamada-crucial/

Of course, the main factor was the existence of popular support (and significant support in the armed forces) in Venezuela, but in volatile moments like those, the role of a figure like Fidel cannot be discounted, as small things turn out to have extreme consequences.

PS: Use Google Language Tools if you cannot read Spanish.