[lbo-talk] Marx's Rejection of a Moral Critique of Capital

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 12:53:21 PDT 2012

It's not a question of "advantage."

Also, I don't know if "moral" is the best word. Neitzche said morality is virtue in search of justification, so perhaps, "moral" is the wrong word.

But to say that capitalism cannot be judged on ethical grounds because it works according to its own rules/principles seems tautological to me.

We stand on some kind of ground to reject the rule of capital. What would you call that ground?

After all, it's not just a question of the working class rejecting it; some join in the struggle despite the fact that they benefit from the system. For example, Engels.

On some level, it seems the great unspoken reproach to Marx is "If you're so fucking smart and understand Capitalism, how come you're not a millionaire?" It seems the answer would have to do with something other than self-interest.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- At 02:09 PM 4/14/2012, // ravi wrote:
>On Apr 14, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Eubulides <autoplectic at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It serves no purpose to use moral language to condemn the firm for
> > such activities, but if it makes you feel good, knock yourself out.
>
>OTOH if your politics doesn't make you feel good you are probably a
>religious type :-).
>
> -- Ravi

I was trying to think of examples of the advantage moral condemnation. couldn't think of any.

is there any advantage\?