[lbo-talk] Marx's Rejection of a Moral Critique of Capital

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 11:07:27 PDT 2012

"Would you care to specify the steps whereby people other than yourself can do that? "

It's not a question of steps. It's a question of reflection, for which there is no formula. Obviously Tamas and Marx and millions of others found a way to do it. Hamlet put it best: "I could be bounded in a nutshell and account myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." We have bad dreams and we want to wake up, even if it means giving up our delusions.

"One could, with some rigorous analyses/arguments condemn slavery without engaging in any kind of moral/ethical judgements."

I don't see how one can "condemn" anything without a moral/ethical context. It might even be a capitalist arguing that wage-slavery depresses productivity, hence all the blabber about self-invention and freedom. But still, that argument would be made within some kind of value system.

"I seem to recall your claiming, on multiple posts throughout the years that capitalism *does not* offer us any choices at all."

I never said capitalism does not offer us choices. I argued rather that the choices were mostly meaningless and that they did not add up to "freedom."

"Are revolutions moral events? "

I'll stand with Che and call them acts of love.

Joanna