[lbo-talk] compare and contrast

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 17 08:24:17 PDT 2012

Joanna here shows the damage a moralistic (i.e., individualist, personal) perspective does to clear thought. This list, mostly to its advantage, has a considerable variety of styles among its subscribers. It is also easy for anyone to ignore or merely glance at the posts of any particular subscriber. Joanna's question is, I think, offensive as well as being intellectually vapid. Why should there not be, from the perspective of the list as a whole, not include one poster who quotes (selectively, one should note) from the works of Marx be a great advantage? Joanna, however, due I think to her pervasively moralistic approach to the world, is it seems interested primarily in making a personal judgment of Ted. I find that enormously boring. From the viewpoint of the list as a whole, Ted's posts are obviously of great value, whether they result from poor morals on his part or not is irrelevant.

Now this post suffers from the approach which it condemns: i.e. it focuses too much on Joanna. Perhaps I should have tried to discover some other framing topic for attacking personal moral judgment. But that is one of the effects of moral judgment; it is hard to respond to without falling into the fault attacked.

I disagree in many ways with Ted -- but I greatly appreciate his presence on the list. I certainly do not find it depressing. I've learned from it over the years and hope to continue to do so.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of // ravi Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 10:11 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] compare and contrast

On Apr 16, 2012, at 9:14 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> I wonder what life form Marx would have assigned to those who are unable
to communicate except through quotations from Marx.

Zing!

I know: Marxstricts? Proliteralists?

> It is both irritating and profoundly depressing.

Amen! At least other fundies have more amusing gods :-).

-ravi (ducking.)

P.S: no insult to Ted Winslow, or Shane. Really. I am talking about the entire list! :-)