[lbo-talk] death of a discussion list

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Apr 20 08:09:17 PDT 2012

On Apr 20, 2012, at 11:01 AM, John Gulick wrote:

>> Bingo on the attribution, a very polite BS on the “more superficial”. :-) I know many of my LBO friends on FB as well and many of you now post more material there than here. Jordan >and Doug should consider making it official with an FB group. I have been making these kinds of noises for 5 years, so please ignore the repetition.
>
> I reply:
>
> I won't deny for a second that I post far more to FB than to lbo-talk these days.
> I would also deign to say that my average FB posting of today is less meaty than
> my average lbo-talk post of 5-10 years ago. And the quality and length of my
> average lbo-talk post of today has been diminished to some extent by my habituation
> to FB. But Twitter? Too far gone for me. And I trying (and most failing) to cut back
> on my FB noodling, too.

I mostly agree with all of the above. But I am not sure it has to be this way. For instance, I would rather have my FB time spent on LBO type discussion than the usual false sentimental rot that people post there. FB, with it’s tiny comment box, etc, is a bit more painful to use, and Twitter of course is designed for one-liners. But a blog+FB combination/hybrid (with perhaps even a wiki) might serve our purpose well.

2 cents,

—ravi